The Official Website of Afghan Premier League

Secondary menu


Simorgh Alburz, Majwhai Amu Thrill in Close Game -highlight

28 Sep, 2012

What a match.

Both Majwhai Amu and Simorgh Alburz were determined to win and retain their chances of making it into the Roshan Afghan Premier League semi-finals - good news for the more than five thousand spectators who filled the AFF stadium in Kabul because both teams delivered brilliant football.

Majhwai Amu started hard and fast. The team from Northeast Afghanistan attacked mostly with long balls through the center, almost always finding the forward player Mohammad Nasser Afzali. 

It was Afzali who scored the first goal in the 19th minute. 

Norullah Rasoli had shot a free kick, sending the ball high directly in front of Alburz's goal. Goal keeper Abdulkhaber Bakhtiari leapt for it, but the ball slipped through his hands and behind him. And Afzali, who had slipped in to position, rolled the ball into the net.

Amu had another chance in the 23rd minute when Rahimullah Zindadul stood face to face with the goal keeper in the box. He heaved the ball over the keeper, but missed the goal.

Then in the 30th minute Alburz levelled the match. Amu's Abas Abasin fouled in the penalty box and Munirulhaq Nadimturned the penalty kick to a goal, 1:1.

With the fresh confidence, Alburz started to play harder to swing the game in their favour.

At the 37 minute mark, a deep pass to Munirulhaq Nadim left him with only the Amu goal keeper Ramin Quddusi between him and the net. He made the most of it with a powerful shot, and scored, 2:1.

In the second half, Alburz's attack made it clear they wanted a more  comfortable lead.

And their efforts delivered at the 50 minute mark. 

A cross from the right side found Munirulhaq Nadim in the box. Nadim’s shot bounced off the keeper, but Omid Nasib snitched the ball and pushed it back into the net, 3:1.

But Majhwai Amu didn’t give up, stepping up their attack to try and level the game again. The tension on the field - and in the stands - was palpable as both sides fought to control the ball.

In the 60th minute, a foul just in front of the Alburz box sent the tension rocketing. Afzali’s shot went through the wall and left the keeper Ali Reza Jafari no chance, 3:2

Amu's hopes to at least draw the match were dashed in the 88th minute.

Mohammad Hussain Mohammadi gained the ball from his adversary in Alburz’s half field and ran all the way down into the Amu box. He passed to Mustafa Rezaee to his left, who was following him through the Amu defence giving Rezaee a perfect chance to shoot.

And he did so, with success.

The match ended with Simorgh Alburz’s 4:2 victory, giving the team a good chance to reach the semi-finals.

Share this page